The DC universe has had decent success with their films in the last few years, releasing well-received movies like "Wonder Woman," "Shazam!," "Aquaman," and "Birds of Prey." But there's one film DC fans were much less receptive to and that is "Justice League."
In 2017, director Zack Snyder was at the helm of the film, but due to a personal tragedy with the death of his daughter, Snyder wasn't able to finish making the film and directorial power was handed over to "The Avengers" director Joss Whedon.
After this handoff occurred, Whedon decided to change the tone of the film along with making it much shorter for theatrical purposes. Following the unexciting release of the film, fans created a petition, and a hashtag began trending, #ReleaseTheSnyderCut.
It's been more than 3 years since this movement began and now "Zack Snyder's Justice League" is finally available to stream on HBO Max. The new cut weighs in with a hefty running time of about 4 hours and 2 minutes. So, before you decide whether the flick is worth your time, here's our take on whether to sink or stream it.
Reasons to Sink
- Even with the film requiring a whopping 4 hours of time to watch, certain scenes can still feel like they're being rushed or not properly explained because they've been stuffed into a movie that's already spanning the length of two.
- The new cut features a few new notable characters that weren't in the theatrical version and they were teased in the marketing in such a way that you would expect them to be a more integral part of the film.
- There is a decent amount of exaggerated fight scenes, so if you're not a fan of those kind of sequences, you may not be a huge fan of this film.
Reasons to Stream
- Snyder provides some much-needed context for our favorite DC heroes, especially Ray Fisher's Cyborg, and it's done in a way that makes us better understand the shortcomings of Joss Whedon's more diluted version of "Justice League."
- This DCEU ensemble cast all bring the noise, with each character getting their time in the spotlight to showcase what they add to the team.
- Snyder leans into his specialty, bringing a darker tone that can be felt clearly throughout this grittier, less polished narrative, whether it's the dark flourishes of the different costume designs, or the brutal fight scenes.
Sink or Stream?
In our opinion, "Zack Snyder's Justice League" is absolutely worth a watch.
The film, even with its massive run time, revitalizes the DC universe after the dismal release of Whedon's "Justice League." Snyder gives fans a long overdue explanation that was missing from all of the elements of the original film that were left out.
Not only that, he gives every member of the Justice League backstories and hero moments they deserve. Zack... we like ya cut G!
About the Author
Jesse is a writer and content manager for Noovie. When he's not working, he's on the beach playing volleyball.