July on Netflix is looking a lot like October. And for horror fans, this streaming month will not disappoint. Also new to Netflix are a handful of rom-coms, along with the usual crop of classic flicks and under-the-radar indie gems. Here are some of the big premieres that you should watch, along with the full list of Netflix debuts below. Happy streaming!
'Fear Street' Trilogy - Starting July 2
If YA horror writer R.L. Stine is the Stephen King of teen horror, then consider this the teen version of the horror series "Castle Rock." Director Leigh Janiak turns Stine's popular '90s book series, "Fear Street," into a chilly trilogy of terror. "Fear Street" starts in 1994 and heads backward in time as two friends, Deena (Kiana Madeira) and Samantha (Olivia Welch) trace the creepy connections of killings that have plagued their small Ohio town going back five centuries.
This nostalgic horror throwback should satisfy some of your "Stranger Things" cravings in more ways than the obvious. Not only do the films feature appearances by recent "Stranger Things" stars Maya Hawke and Sadie Sink, but director Janiak is married to one of the Duffer Brothers.
Follow along as Netflix drops each chapter of the trilogy over three weeks throughout the month. "Part One" drops on July 2, followed by "Part Two" on July 9 and "Part Three" on July 16.
Fear Street Part One: 1994
Horror / 2021 / R
A Classic Horror Story - July 14
Directors Roberto De Feo and Paolo Strippoli go meta and play with classic horror tropes in this aptly titled chiller. "A Classic Horror Story" takes a lot of cues from past forest-bound thrillers like "Evil Dead" and "Midsommar." The filmmakers know this, and they know you know this, too. Just as the trailer states, you've seen this movie before. Only this time around the rules have changed.
A Classic Horror Story
Horror / 2021
Resort to Love - July 29
While Netflix does have plenty of scary flicks for the horror fans this month, it's not all chills and thrills. After "Falling Inn Love" last year, actress/singer Christina Milian returns to the rom-com format. This time she's a struggling pop star who ends up getting booked at her ex's destination wedding. Just like red wine and vodka, career woes and romantic troubles do not mix.
What to Watch on Netflix - July's Modern Hits and Classic Gems
Netflix certainly is making July a month of horror and love. As such, it seems very fitting that the entire "Twilight Saga" will be up to binge. But if you do not want to go down that nostalgia well, there are a handful of newly available indie gems to watch. Up first is "Star Wars" actress Daisy Ridley in "Ophelia," which presents the story of "Hamlet" as told through his girlfriend's eyes. Comic and podcaster Marc Maron then takes the lead in "Sword of Trust," a SXSW gem from 2019 that follows a cranky pawnshop owner who comes into possession of an old sword that supposedly proves the South won the Civil War. Later in the month look for "The Water Man" (streaming on July 9). David Oyelowo's directorial debut is a fantasy adventure and a fresh flash of old-school Spielberg for modern times.
What to Watch on Netflix - Complete List of July Premieres
- Audible (2021) - 7/1 - Original
- Dynasty Warriors (2021) - 7/1 - Original
- Hampstead (2017) - 7/1
- Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - 7/1
- Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway (2021) - 7/1 - Original
- Mother's Day (2016) - 7/1
- Ophelia (2018) - 7/1
- Sword of Trust (2019) - 7/1
- The Beguiled (2017) - 7/1
- The Best of Enemies (2019) - 7/1
- Underworld: Awakening (2012) - 7/1
- Fear Street Part 1: 1994 (2021) - 7/2 - Original
- Haseen Dillruba (2021) - 7/2 - Original
- Holiday on Mars (In vacanza su Marte) (2020) - 7/2
- RattleSnake – The Ahanna Story (2020) - 7/2
- The 8th Night (2021) - 7/2 - Original
- Major Grom: Plague Doctor (2021) - 7/7 - Original
- This Little Love of Mine (2021) - 7/7 - Original
- Fear Street Part 2: 1978 (2021) - 7/9 - Original
- How I Became a Superhero (2020) - 7/9 - Original
- Last Summer (Summer '69) (2021) - 7/9 - Original
- Lee Su-guen: The Sense Coach (2021) - 7/9 - Original
- The Water Man (2021) - 7/9
- A Classic Horror Story (2021) - 7/14 - Original
- Private Network: Who Killed Manuel Buendia? (2021) - 7/14 - Original
- The Guide to the Perfect Family (2021) - 7/14 - Original
- This Changes Everything (2018) - 7/15
- Deep (2021) - 7/16 - Original
- Fear Street Part 3: 1666 (2021) - 7/16 - Original
- The Book of Henry (2017) - 7/16
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1 (2011) - 7/16
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 (2012) - 7/16
- The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (2010) - 7/16
- The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009) - 7/16
- Ali & Ratu Ratu Queens (2021) - 7/17 - Original
- Trollhunters: Rise of the Titans (2021) - 7/21 - Original
- Blood Red Sky (2021) - 7/23 - Original
- Resort to Love (2021) - 7/29 - Original
- The Last Mercenary (2021) - 7/30 - Original
About the Author
Matt Lissauer is a writer & data manager for Noovie. When he is not busy writing listicles, Matt is enjoying life in New Jersey with his lovely wife and three kids.