As we enjoy the warmer days ahead this April, stay safe with some new originals and classic gems on Netflix. Here are some of the big premieres that you should pay attention to, along with the full list of debuts below. Happy streaming!
Concrete Cowboy - April 2
Idris Elba stars in this modern western that explores a little known community of urban horseback riders. As we just featured this weekend on its release, "Concrete Cowboy" is a gripping tale about a boy (Caleb McLaughlin of "Stranger Things") moving to Philly to reconnect with his estranged father (Elba). The boy soon discovers this welcoming community of whom his father is a leader. Like "Nomadland," the film features actual members of the community playing versions of themselves alongside the actors.
Drama / 2020 / R
Sent to live with his estranged father for the summer, a rebellious teen finds kinship in a tight-knit Philadelphia community of Black cowboys.
Stowaway - April 22
Sophomore feature director Joe Penna follows up his harrowing tale of isolation and survival, 2018's "Arctic," with this gripping sci-fi drama. A small crew of researchers head out on a manned mission to Mars, but soon discover a stowaway. Too far from Earth, and with only so much resources between them, the crew is faced with a difficult decision. Anna Kendrick, Toni Collette, Daniel Dae Kim, and Shamier Anderson star.
Science Fiction / 2021
A three-person crew on a mission to Mars faces an impossible choice when an unplanned passenger jeopardizes the lives of everyone on board.
The Mitchells vs. the Machines - April 30
The team behind "The LEGO Movie" and "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" present this cautionary animated tale of human reliance on tech gone wrong. The ragtag family, the Mitchells, find themselves up against the titular machines and it's up to them to save the planet. It's just a shame that neither member of the clan are as well trained as, say, Sarah and John Connor were in the "Terminator" movies. "The Mitchells vs. the Machines" was originally planned as a theatrical release last year, under the more vanilla title "Connected," before COVID thwarted those plans.
The Mitchells vs. the Machines
Comedy / 2021 / PG
Young Katie Mitchell embarks on a road trip with her proud parents, younger brother and beloved dog to start her first year at film school. But their plans to bond as a family soon get interrupted when the world's electronic devices come to life to stage an uprising. With help from two friendly robots, the Mitchells must now come together to save one another -- and the planet -- from the new technological revolution.
Throughout the month Netflix will fill you with gripping dramas, thrills and laughs. Right now on Netflix you can look for the Reese Witherspoon courtroom comedy "Legally Blonde," the Eric Bana/Rachel McAdams time-trippy romance "The Time Traveler's Wife," and the disaster film disaster "2012" (which watching now in 2021 might seem hilariously ironic). Streaming on the 5th is the intriguing science doc "Coded Bias," which looks at the serious effects of A.I. Paul Thomas Anderson's deconstruction of Scientology "The Master" comes back to Netflix on the 15th, while Ron Howard's high octane biopic "Rush" speeds onto the platform on the 16th. Also on the 16th, look for the streaming premiere of indie sci-fi thriller "Synchronic" starring Anthony Mackie and Jamie Dornan. It's fun to note that co-director Justin Benson, who directs Mackie (of Falcon fame) here, will be following that up later in the year with the anticipated Marvel/Disney+ series "Moon Knight."
See below for the full list of Netflix debuts.
Everything to Watch on Netflix in April
- 2012 (2009) - 4/1
- Cop Out (2010) - 4/1
- Friends with Benefits (2011) - 4/1
- Insidious (2010) - 4/1
- Legally Blonde (2001) - 4/1
- Leprechaun (1993) - 4/1
- Tersanjung the Movie (2021) - 4/1 - Original
- The Pianist (2002) - 4/1
- The Possession (2012) - 4/1
- The Time Traveler's Wife (2009) - 4/1
- Tyler Perry's Madea's Big Happy Family (2011) - 4/1
- White Boy (2017) - 4/1
- Yes Man (2008) - 4/1
- Concrete Cowboy (2020) - 4/2 - Original
- Just Say Yes (2021) - 4/2 - Original
- Madame Claude (2021) - 4/2 - Original
- Sky High (2020) - 4/2 - Original
- Escape From Planet Earth (2013) - 4/3
- What Lies Below (?) - 4/4
- Coded Bias (2020) - 4/5
- Have You Ever Seen Fireflies? (2021) - 4/9 - Original
- Night in Paradise (2020) - 4/9 - Original
- Thunder Force (2021) - 4/9 - Original
- The Stand-In (2020) - 4/10
- New Gods: Nezha Reborn (2021) - 4/12 - Original
- The Soul (2021) - 4/14 - Original
- Dark City Beneath the Beat (2020) - 4/15
- Ride or Die (2021) - 4/15 - Original
- The Master (2012) - 4/15
- Ajeeb Daastaans (2021) - 4/16 - Original
- Crimson Peak (2015) - 4/16
- Into the Beat (2019) - 4/16 - Original
- Rush (2013) - 4/16
- Synchronic (2019) - 4/16
- The Zookeeper’s Wife (2017) - 4/16
- Miss Sloane (2016) - 4/19
- Stowaway (2021) - 4/22 - Original
- Tell Me When (2021) - 4/23 - Original
- August: Osage County (2013) - 4/27
- Battle of Los Angeles (2011) - 4/27
- Things Heard and Seen (2021) - 4/29 - Original
- The Mitchells vs. the Machines (2021) - 4/30 - Original
About the Author
Matt Lissauer is a writer & data manager for Noovie. When he is not busy writing listicles, Matt is enjoying life in New Jersey with his lovely wife and three kids.