February 26, 2021
Today is the day that our ol animated pals Tom the Cat and Jerry the Mouse are back and this time they're hitting the big screen with their very first live-action/animated film "Tom & Jerry."
From fighting for space in a house, to now fighting for space in one of the largest, and most prestigious hotels in The Big Apple, the stakes may be higher, but the game's still the same.
These adversaries go at it with everything they've got to see who wins this non-stop prank war.
We're here to let you know what's ahead so you can decide to sink or stream the beloved characters' latest escapade.
Reasons to Sink
- When considering that the appeal of these characters is to see their rough-and-tumble personalities clash in live-action, their feud and adored antics often take a backseat to the larger plot at hand.
- For a film that fans would expect to have shenanigans through and through, there's a significant amount of filler scenes.
- Though the cast does a great job in the roles they're given, they appear to get more screen time overall compared to the animated stars who should be the leads in the film.
Reasons to Stream
- Chloë Grace Moretz and Michael Peña provide great performances, creating a fun subplot with an ongoing cat-and-mouse game of their own.
- The action sequences and silly high jinks between Tom and Jerry are spectacular, giving younger audiences a taste of how the animated rivals operate, and giving older audiences a feeling of nostalgia.
- The act of combining live-action actors with exaggerated animated characters makes for some outrageous situations that are impressive.
Sink or Stream?
So, with everything considered, we think the film is worth a stream.
Would we tell you to get an HBO Max subscription just for the purpose of watching this film? Probably not.
But, at the end of the day, this is a kid's film and it serves the purpose of entertaining children while being mildy entertaining for adults.
We wish there was more 'Tom and Jerry' craziness in the film, but we'll take what we can get with these classic characters.
Jesse is a writer and content manager for Noovie. When he's not working, he's on the beach playing volleyball.