Summer is finally getting started, and with this season comes some potential summer blockbusters! Our first contender for the action/comedy category, which was released today, is Lionsgate's "The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard." This is the sequel to the first Reynolds/Jackson film that came out in 2017. But this time instead of the hitman and his bodyguard, now the hitman's wife will be joining the party. That is, depending on how you define a party. If you think a party is everyone being blown to bits from guns and explosions while people angrily swear at each other, then this might be your kind of shindig. But before you decide if "The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard" is worth a watch or not, let us review it for you.
Reasons to Watch...
- Every member of this star-studded cast brings their own version of an over-the-top action star to life. Most of all, we need to acknowledge how outrageously funny and savage Salma Hayek's performance is.
- This film doubles down on the violence and provides a twice as explosive experience compared to the first film. These extremes, mixed with some witty and mostly sarcastic banter, make for an interesting watch.
- The filming locations in Europe that we see throughout the movie are beautiful, providing a delightful backdrop during all of the murderous chaos.
- Sometimes the humor is so purposely forced that it can almost feel too silly for its own good.
- There is a fair share of extreme violence, blaring profanity, and blood so if those are things you don't like, then you shouldn't see this film.
- Because this is an action/comedy, it can be tough to define which direction the movie skews towards, thus making it hard to place the film in either genre.
Watch or Not?
So, when thinking about whether or not we should watch "The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard," we say you should watch it.
With any sequel, there will be some harsh criticisms, and this sequel in particular is one that can't be taken seriously at all. This is very much a popcorn movie, but that's what it was intended to be. We get to see Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jackson, Salma Hayek, Antonio Banderas, and Morgan Freeman all going crazy in the same movie. They all lean into how ridiculous the action and humor can be and the chemistry between everyone is undeniable. Though we know a trip to the theaters is no cheap outing, we don't think a ticket would be wasted on this film.
About the Author
Jesse is a writer and content manager for Noovie. When he's not working, he's on the beach playing volleyball.