True to form in the online pandemic era, the SAG Awards nominations for the 28th edition were announced on Instagram Live Wednesday morning, by presenters Rosario Dawson and Vanessa Hudgens. The actual ceremony, scheduled for Feb. 27, will still take place in person and on TNT/TBS – Omicron willing, fingers crossed. For now, the virtual bets, comments, and debates begin on the nominated slate.
Both "House of Gucci" and "The Power of the Dog" led the movie noms, with three apiece. "Gucci" scored individual acting noms for Lady Gaga in the lead category and Jared Leto in supporting. In addition, the cast earned an ensemble nomination. "The Power of the Dog" missed out on ensemble. But it did receive individual acting noms for Kodi Smit-McPhee and Kirsten Dunst in the supporting category, and Benedict Cumberbatch for lead actor.
Surprisingly, Kristen Stewart, who's already won accolades and awards for her performance as Lady Di in "Spencer," and was considered a frontrunner, was nowhere to be found in the nominations. Likewise, Rachel Zegler for "West Side Story" was not nominated, nor was the cast put up for ensemble. One of the nice surprise noms, though, was the inclusion of Bradley Cooper for his supporting role as producer Jon Peters in "Licorice Pizza." Cooper had been left out at the Golden Globes, and his time on screen in the movie is limited. But, he's a true highlight in Paul Thomas Anderson's nostalgic LA epic.
Below are the full list of film nominations for the upcoming SAG Awards. Also, click through here to find out the tv nominations.
SAG Awards 2022 – Movie Nominations
Cast in a Motion Picture
- "Don’t Look Up"
- "House of Gucci"
- "King Richard"
Male Actor in a Leading Role in a Motion Picture
- Javier Bardem, "Being the Ricardos"
- Benedict Cumberbatch, "The Power of the Dog"
- Andrew Garfield, "Tick, Tick…Boom"
- Will Smith, "King Richard"
- Denzel Washington, "The Tragedy of Macbeth"
Female Actor in a Leading Role in a Motion Picture
- Jessica Chastain, "The Eyes of Tammy Faye"
- Olivia Colman, "The Lost Daughter"
- Lady Gaga, "House of Gucci"
- Jennifer Hudson, "Respect"
- Nicole Kidman, "Being the Ricardos"
Male Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
- Ben Affleck, "The Tender Bar"
- Bradley Cooper, "Licorice Pizza"
- Troy Kotsur, "CODA"
- Jared Leto, "House of Gucci"
- Kodi Smit-McPhee, "The Power of the Dog"
Female Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
- Caitriona Balfe, "Belfast"
- Cate Blanchett, "Nightmare Alley"
- Ariana DeBose, "West Side Story"
- Kirsten Dunst, "The Power of the Dog"
- Ruth Negga, "Passing"
Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture
- "Black Widow"
- "The Matrix Resurrections"
- "No Time to Die"
- "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings"
West Side Story•Respect•King Richard•House of Gucci•CODA•The Eyes of Tammy Faye•Licorice Pizza•Nightmare Alley•Tick, Tick…Boom!•Awards Season•Passing•The Lost Daughter•Belfast•The Power of the Dog•Being the Ricardos•Don't Look Up•The Tragedy of Macbeth
Chuck is an editor/writer who's worked for NCM, Fandango, Movies.com, MediaTrip, Hollywood.com and Newsweek. His favorite movie is "Jaws." He's definitely a dog guy.