Thriller / 2020 / PG-13
An isolated teen discovers her mother's sinister secret.
Hulu just released a new original horror film "Run" and we have to admit, it put our gears in motion.
The premise - if the person who loves you the most is the one hurting you the most, what do you do? And how do you survive?
From what we'd seen in the preview, the flick was giving us some major "Misery" vibes - with mother and daughter subbing in for "Misery's" deranged fan and author.
Sink or stream it? Time to lay out the facts and decide.
Reasons to Sink
- The beginning of the film takes a bit longer than it should to build the context for the rest of the story.
- For a horror/thriller film, there is less action and gut-wrenching moments than you would expect.
- There is one primary setting for most of the film, which might feel a bit stale at times.
Reasons to Stream
- There are outstanding performances from Sarah Paulson and Kiera Allen as mother and daughter, played out in the most passive/aggressive and twisted ways.
- It's a wildly original, yet extremely realistic story that is slightly unnerving because of how easily this kind of scenario could happen in real life.
- The film will keep you guessing its trajectory up until the very last scene.
- It's a perfect mix of thriller, horror, and mystery.
Sink or Stream?
Run away or towards this horror flick? Charge forward. It's a streamer!
With such a unique and horrifying premise (yes, the person who made you is poisoning you), there's no need to scramble.
The actresses in this motion picture are exceptional, and their ability to create awkward, mysterious, intimate and creepy moments is something to take note of.
About the Author