Life is never perfect, no matter how hard we hope it'll be.
An example of how things can take a turn for the worst is seen in the film "Our Friend," which just became available to watch in theaters and at home.
When a family receives some terrible news regarding the health of the mother and wife of the house, they accept the help of a dear friend to try and hold the household together.
As always, we're here to help you know whether to let this story sink, or if you should stream it.
Reasons to Sink
- The subject matter that this film dives into is devastatingly sad and may be difficult to watch for those who've dealt with or know others who've dealt with these types of issues.
- Because the film is showing the lives of these characters before and after the occurrence of one unfortunate event, the story tends to jump back and forth in time frequently, which can make it hard to keep track of when certain events occur in the overall timeline.
Reasons to Stream
- This film takes an incredibly sad story and analyzes it from every angle. In doing so, it creates 3 parallel stories, one from each main character, all of which are equally captivating and heartbreaking in their own unique way.
- Jason Segel, Casey Affleck, and Dakota Johnson give unbelievable performances, so much so that in our mind there aren't any supporting roles because they all lead the charge.
- Though this is certainly a story of tragedy, it's told in a way that makes it so much more than that, showing audiences what it means to be a true companion to someone you love.
- The story is told in such a compelling way - it begins by defining its ultimate end and at the same time it leaves so many unanswered questions.
Sink or Stream?
Our answer is that "Our Friend" needs to be streamed.
We don't want to make you cry your eyes out, but we also don't want you to miss this masterpiece.
Each member of this cast deserves some kind of award nomination. We honestly can't choose who gives the best performance.
This is one that stays with you after you watch it, and makes you want to go find your loved one or your best friend (or both) and give them a HUGE hug and tell them how much you love and appreciate them.
Watch it in select theaters or Stream it Now
Jesse is a writer and content manager for Noovie. When he's not working, he's on the beach playing volleyball.