With a summer of blockbusters on the horizon, one film is trying to set itself apart by asking some existential questions in a place that doesn't exist in time. What if before you were born, you had to earn your spot on Earth? Imagine instead of going in for a job interview that you had to go in for a life interview. You would be competing with other unborn souls to determine among you who most deserves to be born. Sounds pretty intense, right? Well, there's no need to guess how it would play out as "Nine Days" brings that idea to life. These eager souls will try to survive a total of nine days of constantly proving themselves so that they have a chance of living. Before you decide if "Nine Days" deserves a watch or not, here are some things to consider....
Reasons to Watch...
- This is what an original film is supposed to look like. With such a far-fetched concept it could be easy to squander the idea, but quite the opposite happens. This is a worthy experience and one that everyone can relate to.
- The cast is spectacular, pulling raw emotions from deep within themselves and putting them on display unapologetically. The film is as human as it gets.
- Director Edson Oda does an amazing job of sculpting something unique that will have audiences asking themselves questions about their own life.
- It is very much an art house film so those who aren't huge fans of those kinds of films may not enjoy this one.
- Due to the nature of this unhurried, thought-provoking flick, it can be a little slow at times.
- There's only one major setting and it's pretty underwhelming.
Watch or Not?
Is "Nine Days" is worth the watch or not? We think you should definitely watch it.
It might not be a traditional or visual feast for the eyes, but there's something really special here. Every member of the cast adds something to this spiritual and psychological film. It's heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time. And it will drive you to look inward at what's important in life.
August 6, 2021
Jesse is a writer and content manager for Noovie. When he's not working, he's on the beach playing volleyball.