The film we're looking at this weekend is our first movie musical of the summer, "In The Heights." It was born out of the popular Broadway musical of the same name. The original musical consisted of music and lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda and was based on a book written by Quiara Alegría Hudes. Now, both of them have come back together to team up with director Jon M. Chu to bring this musical to the big screen. But, before you decide whether to watch "In The Heights" or not, we want to tell you what we think.
Reasons to Watch...
- Every member of this talented cast shows off their amazing singing abilities and these performances come together so beautifully it will bring a tear to your eye.
- The dance sequences are choreographed incredibly well and executed perfectly.
- This movie musical excels at telling the heartfelt story of what it means to be a dreamer in a small community. And more importantly, it does so with love, compassion, and authenticity.
- Because of the extensive number of musical numbers, it may feel a little overwhelming for those who don't typically watch musicals.
- There are certain scenes that may feel purposely clichéd in order to create more emotional moments.
Watch or Not?
So, when we're thinking about whether or not you should watch "In The Heights," we're saying go watch it today!
This film is an inspirational ray of sunshine that we wish we could have had earlier in the pandemic. Don't let this film go to waste. Jon M. Chu, Quiara Alegría Hudes, and Lin-Manuel Miranda have absolutely succeeded in creating the feel-good flick of the summer. Also, it NEEDS to be watched it in theaters.
About the Author
Jesse is a writer and content manager for Noovie. When he's not working, he's on the beach playing volleyball.