Many years ago, a group known as the Ghostbusters were busy at work keeping civilians safe from spirits that were trying to take over New York City. Now, 30+ years later, it appears as though there are still some phantoms lurking around a small town in Summerville, Oklahoma. Because the busters have disbanded by this point, a new generation of ghost hunters will have to step up to keep this town safe. Without the original crew, will these newbies be able to fend off these ancient apparitions on their own? We hope so. Before you decide whether or not you'll watch "Ghostbusters: Afterlife," you should review our review first.
Reasons to Watch...
- This young cast of new Ghostbusters knocks it out of the park. The ragtag group of kids all have their particular roles they play. Although they're nothing like the original crew, it's entertaining all the while.
- Director Jason Reitman does an incredible job of incorporating everything we love about the franchise. He's also able to appeal to a modern-day audience. It's a slightly different story with different characters but in a way it's also the same great story that we enjoyed years ago.
- For the late "Ghostbusters" actor Harold Ramis, this film provides a very moving tribute to his legacy and his role in this iconic franchise. The plot itself centers around his character's family as they try to learn what kind of a person he was.
- We get to see all of the antique equipment being dusted off and put to good use on some ghastly-looking ghosts. These new spirits have been upgraded with some killer special effects.
- It can be argued that the film leans too much into the past films. The main intent seems to be evoking nostalgia for fans of the franchise. If you haven't seen the previous films, you may feel less attached to the characters.
- The film has a lot of similarities to the original 1984 movie so those who compare the two may feel like the same story is being told twice.
- There's a missed opportunity with the less-than-ideal amount of humor and shock we've come to expect from these films. The dire situations didn't feel that life-threatening and there should have been more comic relief.
Watch or Not?
With "Ghostbusters: Afterlife," we recommend you go watch it now!
Watching this new generation busting ghosts made us feel good. Jason Reitman takes a legendary franchise that's beloved by all and freshens it up for a new audience to experience. We would encourage moviegoers to first watch the 1984 "Ghostbusters" before checking out the new flick. But even if you're unable to do so, there's plenty of adventure here to be excited about.
Jesse is a writer and content manager for Noovie. When he's not working, he's on the beach playing volleyball.