For those that celebratedt Father's Day about a week ago, we might have just the movie for you. Whether you're a single father, a single mother, a daughter, a son, or just someone who wants to see the behind-the-scenes of single parenting, you'll want to check this out. Netflix recently released an original film titled "Fatherhood" starring Kevin Hart as a single dad. Hart's character Matt is trying to figure out how to balance life with his new baby girl. Even with everyone thinking he can't pull it off, he'll do everything in his power to prove them wrong. But, before you decide whether to sink or stream "Fatherhood," we're here to review it for you first.
Reasons to Sink
- The story itself feels predictable especially when considering the unexpected event that occurs at the beginning.
- There are many similarities with other films and typical movie tropes that this parenting narrative falls into.
- Given the plot, you would expect a little more depth when looking at the relationship between a father and daughter. It feels a bit on-the-surface as there are certain plot points that should be explored more.
Reasons to Stream
- Kevin Hart takes on this more dramatic role and shows off a more serious, sensitive side. There's still comic relief sprinkled in from the supporting cast, but Hart is the one who sets the tone for this film.
- The film embodies the struggles and successes associated with being a single father (or parent in general). It highlights the strengths of innate resilience, dedication, and love new parents find within themselves.
- It might be considered clichéd at times, but only because it's relatable and real. There are multiple genuine moments that will warm your heart.
Sink or Stream?
After watching "Fatherhood," we think you should stream it!
Kevin Hart shows audiences he's more than just a comedian. And he does it in an authentic way that we're sure he's pulling from the real love and determination he's already gained from his experience being a father. This is definitely a film to watch that will make you appreciate your parent(s).
About the Author
Jesse is a writer and content manager for Noovie. When he's not working, he's on the beach playing volleyball.