The most fashionable Disney villain is finally getting her story told in theaters today and maybe now we'll finally understand why they call her Cruella. Even though they are her favorite colors, the origin story of a villain isn't always black and white. To know why she is the way she is, we need to see how she was brought up. And that's exactly what this new film aims to show us. But, before you make your decision to watch "Cruella" or not, let us lay out the facts first.
Reasons to Watch...
- Emma Stone and Emma Thompson each put their pettiest foot forward in an aggressively captivating battle of fashions. Their acting is so good that it can be hard to tell when they're being genuine or when they're gearing up to backstab one another.
- We applaud the amazing soundtrack of classic songs cued up for every pivotal scene. The mood was beautifully amplified by these perfectly timed tracks.
- The costume design was spectacular. No matter if the materials were the finest or the most coarse, this flick made them look fabulous.
- This creative origin story is a fantastic prequel for this renowned villain. And the darker moments in this Disney film were unexpected, which in turn add a layer of underlying suspense.
- The movie gets dark regarding the character of the Baroness, but it doesn't get quite as dark for Cruella. Since this is considered Cruella's origin story, we thought the character would be more sinister.
- Although the Dalmatians did play a critical role in the plot, there's no real connection/significance to the original film.
- For those looking for this movie to show them exactly how Cruella became who she is, in relation to the previous films, they may be fairly disappointed.
"Cruella": Watch or Not?
So, if considering whether to watch "Cruella" or not, we recommend to watch it in theaters today!
This movie is overflowing with style and the Emma's don't hold back when it comes to who can be the most devious. Hats off to the hair & makeup, costume, and production designers because this flick is exquisite. And we can't forget to give credit to the performances of the Dalmatians. The dog who plays Wink might be the next big thing in Hollywood.
About the Author
Jesse is a writer and content manager for Noovie. When he's not working, he's on the beach playing volleyball.