Warner Bros.'s anti-superhero team-up "The Suicide Squad" claimed the No. 1 spot at the box office with $26.5M. In spite of this falling short of analysts' projections for the tentpole, the take was still enough to break the pandemic-era opening record for an R-rated film. Overseas, "The Suicide Squad" took in an additional $35M, pulling in a global take of $72.2M.
There are a number of reasons why "The Suicide Squad" fell short of expectations, from COVID concerns (get vaccinated, folks!) and the film's simultaneous debut on HBO Max to a failure in marketing and distinguishing the movie from David Ayer's widely reviled 2016 outing simply called "Suicide Squad." The pic's R-rating and its lack of star-power, like the previous film's Will Smith and Jared Leto, could also be to blame. Whatever the case, little wide release competition meant that no matter what, "The Suicide Squad" was still going to come out on top. The film might not earn a profit, but amid these crazy times, it's not a total loss.
Disney's "Jungle Cruise" took the No. 2 spot at the box office with $15.7M, putting its total domestic haul at $65.3M. While "Jungle Cruise" saw a 55% drop from last week, this is actually the lowest second-weekend drop since May -- another minor victory. Universal's "Old" came in at No. 3 with $4.14M and a total domestic haul of $38.5M. Marvel's "Black Widow" and Focus Features' "Stillwater" rounded out the Top 5, with $4M and $2.9M respectively.
While critics embraced James Gunn's turn in the DCEU, audiences didn't respond in kind, with a CinemaScore of B+ (the same score as Ayer's film). This kind of lukewarm audience reception shouldn't continue into this week as Disney/20th Century releases "Free Guy." The Ryan Reynolds PG-13 video game comedy is coming into the weekend with positive word of mouth. Also on deck are MGM's Aretha Franklin biopic "Respect," a likely awards-contender, and Sony's horror sequel "Don't Breathe 2." All three movies are theatrical exclusives.
Box Office Top Ten: Aug. 6-8
- "The Suicide Squad" (WB) - $26,500,000 [NEW]
- "Jungle Cruise" (Disney) $15,693,000 / Overall: $65,317,454
- "Old" (Universal) - $4,140,000 / Overall: $38,523,145
- "Black Widow" (Disney) - $4,007,000 / Overall: $174,358,784
- "Stillwater" (Focus Features) - $2,860,000 / Overall: $10,000,070
- "The Green Knight" (A24) - $2,596,000 / Overall: $12,167,727
- "Space Jam: A New Legacy" (WB) - $2,475,000 / Overall: $65,671,000
- "Snake Eyes" (Paramount) - $1,625,000 / Overall: $26,001,972
- "Escape Room: Tournament of Champions" (Sony) - $1,250,000 / Overall: $23,040,370
- "F9" (Universal) - $1,230,000 / Overall: $171,034,145
Box office data comes to us from Box Office Mojo.
About the Author
Matt Lissauer is a writer & data manager for Noovie. When he is not busy writing listicles, Matt is enjoying life in New Jersey with his lovely wife and three kids.