"Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings" broke the box office this weekend taking the No. 1 position as well as breaking the record for highest-grossing film over Labor Day weekend with a whopping $90 million. The previous record was held by 2007's "Halloween" which grossed roughly $30 million. This incredible triumph is also the second-biggest opening weekend since the beginning of the pandemic, landing just behind "Black Widow" which opened at $80 million and just ahead of "F9" which grossed $70 million.
The film opened exclusively in theaters without the option to watch on Disney+ with Premier Access. And it looks as though that strategy is already paying dividends. Even in the midst of an ongoing pandemic, the demand for bigger budget films like "Shang-Chi" is certainly there and audiences are proving that there's a world in which we can still go to the theaters to enjoy these movies safely.
Aside from the financial success of the film, it also marked the first lead Asian superhero to be brought into live action in the MCU. And based on the reviews from audiences and critics, it's a hit. We're hopeful that the level of attendance will continue to normalize in theaters with all the other big films slated for this year ("Dune," "Ghostbusters," and more). But it should come as no surprise that "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings" will be the frontrunner at the box office for at least the next couple weeks.
Box Office Top Ten: Sept. 3-6
- "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings" (Disney) - $75,500,000 (3-Day) / $90,000,000 (4-Day) [NEW]
- "Candyman" (Universal) - $10,550,000 (3-Day) / $12,800,000 (4-Day) / Overall: $41,300,000
- "Free Guy" (20th Century) - $8,784,000 (3-Day) / $11,200,000 (4-Day) / Overall: $94,373,981
- "Jungle Cruise" (Disney) - $4,014,000 (3-Day) / $5,200,000 (4-Day) / Overall: $105,711,991
- "PAW Patrol: The Movie" (Paramount) - $4,005,000 (3-Day) / $5,200,000 (4-Day) / Overall: $31,524,661
- "Don't Breathe 2" (Screen Gems) - $2,250,000 (3-Day) / $2,765,000 (4-Day) / Overall: $28,545,920
- "Respect" (MGM) - $1,264,000 (3-Day) / $1,570,000 (4-Day) / Overall: $22,200,000
- "The Suicide Squad" (WB) - $912,000 (3-Day) / $1,132,000 (4-Day) / Overall: $54,633,632
- "Black Widow" (Disney) - $712,000 (3-Day) / $893,000 (4-Day) / Overall: $182,646,319
- "The Night House" (Searchlight) - $530,000 (3-Day) / $674,000 (4-Day) / Overall: $6,419,926
Box office data comes to us from Box Office Mojo.
About the Author
Jesse is a writer and content manager for Noovie. When he's not working, he's on the beach playing volleyball.