We don't want to jinx it, but a box office rebirth is nigh. Universal's new action revenge pic "Nobody," was this week's hit out the gate, landing easily at #1 with $6.7M. This beat expectations and unseated previous #1 slot holder, Disney's "Raya and the Last Dragon." Clearly, this was a benefit of having New York and L.A. back open for business.
Box Office Analysis
Universal's unlikely Bob Odenkirk actioner "Nobody" not only claimed more ticket sales than expected, but it also landed an A- CinemaScore. The positive reception from critics and fans should serve the movie well in the coming weeks, especially as it makes its likely Premium VOD release in about a month.
Disney's "Raya" fell to the #2 slot in it's fourth week with $3.5M. The film is also playing on Disney+ Premium Access. While there's no reported VOD numbers from Disney, the animated adventure has taken in a hearty $28.4M domestically.
Holdovers from previous weeks rounded out the top five. WB's family friendly adaptation "Tom & Jerry" held the #3 slot with $2.5M. This will be the last week "Tom & Jerry" is also available on HBO Max. Lionsgate's sci-fi thriller "Chaos Walking" took #4 with $1.2M and Roadside's spy drama "The Courier" came in at #5 with $1.04M.
On the specialty side of the box office, A24's "Minari" is seeing a strong box office bump. This was the first time the Oscar nominated film cracked the Box Office Top Ten. The family drama took in $275K over the weekend and claimed the #9 spot. "Minari" has a lifetime gross of $1.7M and is also currently available on Premium Video On Demand.
Meanwhile in international waters, Warner Bros released their monster tentpole "Godzilla vs Kong" to monster numbers. The CGI showdown came away with $121M across 28 countries, with China claiming $70.3M of that total. Positive signs of a box office rebound are there, but the real test will come this week when "Godzilla vs Kong" lands State-side on Wednesday in theaters and on HBO Max.
Box Office Top Ten: Mar. 26-28
- "Nobody" (Universal) - $6,700,000 [New Release]
- "Raya and the Last Dragon" (Walt Disney) - $3,500,000 / lifetime: $28,389,857
- "Tom & Jerry" (Warner Bros) - $2,500,000 / lifetime: $37,100,000
- "Chaos Walking" (Lionsgate) - $1,185,000 / lifetime: $11,468,256
- "The Courier" (Roadside) - $1,043,560 / lifetime: $3,481,267
- "The Croods: A New Age" (Universal) - $540,000 / lifetime: $55,972,933
- "The Marksman" (Open Road) - $375,000 / lifetime: $14,796,109
- "Boogie" (Focus Features) - $340,000 / lifetime: $3,806,840
- "Minari" (A24) - $275,000 / lifetime: $1,671,723
- "Wonder Woman 1984" (Warner Bros) - $245,000 / lifetime: $45,857,000
Box office data courtesy of Box Office Mojo.
About the Author
Matt Lissauer is a writer & data manager for Noovie. When he is not busy writing listicles, Matt is enjoying life in New Jersey with his lovely wife and three kids.