Disney's "Jungle Cruise" defied expectations this weekend, coming in at No. 1 at the box office. Analysts expected the sea-fairing adventure to dock with $25-30M, but the film ended up netting $34.2M. The final haul beats the previous pandemic-era family film opening record set two weeks back by "Space Jam: A New Legacy."
"Jungle Cruise" also opened at home on Disney+ Premier Access, where it took in an additional $30M in revenue. Overseas the film's take was more lukewarm with $27.6M, but altogether the Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt family adventure claimed a total global haul of $91.8M. This might not mean the $200M movie will earn a profit, but all in all, it's not bad for an original tentpole opening in uncertain times and renewed COVID concerns.
The battle over the second, third, and fourth spots was close, but A24's "The Green Knight" proved to be the final victor. The medieval Arthurian fantasy took in an impressive $6.78M, placing it at No. 2 over M. Night Shyamalan's "Old," which dropped nearly 60% from last week to take No. 3 at $6.76M. Disney's "Black Widow" landed at No. 4 with $6.4M, as it inches closer to an overall take of $170M.
Focus Feature's "Stillwater," starring Matt Damon rounded out the Top Five. The crime thriller claimed $5.1M. Both "The Green Knight" and "Stillwater" prove that the specialty box office is robust and in recovery. This could be good news for Sony Pictures Classics, whose fantasy drama "Nine Days" expands to more U.S. markets this weekend.
More good news should be on the way this weekend, with WB's latest DC adventure "The Suicide Squad" primed to open to already stellar reviews.
Box Office Top Ten: July 30 - Aug. 1
- "Jungle Cruise" (Disney) $34,200,000 [NEW]
- "The Green Knight" (A24) - $6,784,000 [NEW]
- "Old" (Universal) - $6,760,000 / Overall: $30,613,255
- "Black Widow" (Disney) - $6,426,000 / Overall: $167,066,862
- "Stillwater" (Focus Features) - $5,120,000 [NEW]
- "Space Jam: A New Legacy" (WB) - $4,265,000 / Overall: $60,739,000
- "Snake Eyes" (Paramount) - $4,000,000 / Overall: $22,282,544
- "F9" (Universal) - $2,650,000 / Overall: $168,544,615
- "Escape Room: Tournament of Champions" (Sony) - $2,200,000 / Overall: $20,551,732
- "The Boss Baby: Family Business" (Universal) - $1,300,000 / Overall: $53,467,240
Box office data comes to us from Box Office Mojo.
Matt Lissauer is a writer & data manager for Noovie. When he is not busy writing listicles, Matt is enjoying life in New Jersey with his lovely wife and three kids.