Warner Bros.'s monster movie "Godzilla vs. Kong" claimed the top box office title once again in its third week. With little competition from studios, the tentpole easily claimed the No. 1 spot as it sailed past a domestic haul of over $80M. Globally, "Godzilla vs. Kong" nabbed $309.7M, overtaking "Tenet's" haul to become the top-grossing Hollywood film of the pandemic.
The only new releases this weekend were on the specialty side of the box office. Neon's pandemic-themed horror/thriller "In the Earth" debuted at $506K, from 547 screens. This was enough for the film to enter the Top Ten at the No. 7 slot.
Holdovers from previous weeks rounded out the remaining Top Five. Universal's "Nobody" took in $2.5M and claimed the No. 2 spot, which is especially impressive as the film also debuted on PVOD. Screen Gems' "The Unholy" took the No. 3 box office spot with $2.1M. Family films "Raya and the Last Dragon" and "Tom & Jerry" claimed the fourth and fifth slots with $1.9M and $1.1M respectively.
Even with the overall box office down from the previous week, this is all still a good sign that theatrical moviegoing is heading back in the right direction. This weekend WB will be back at it with the anticipated release of "Mortal Kombat," which will hit theaters and HBO Max simultaneously.
Box Office Top Ten: Apr. 16 – 18
- "Godzilla vs. Kong" (Warner Bros) - $7,705,000 / Overall: $80,515,427
- "Nobody" (Universal) - $2,520,000 / Overall: $19,051,045
- "The Unholy" (Screen Gems) - $2,060,000 / Overall: $9,562,733
- "Raya and the Last Dragon" (Walt Disney) - $1,900,000 / Overall: $37,674,610
- "Tom & Jerry" (Warner Bros) - $1,090,000 / Overall: $42,577,341
- "Voyagers" (Lionsgate) - $790,000 / lifetime: $2,558,674
- "In the Earth" (Neon) - $506,000 [NEW]
- "The Courier" (Roadside) - $462,830 / Overall: $5,548,731
- "The Girl Who Believes in Miracles" (Atlas) $399,000 / Overall: $1,843,725
- "The Croods: A New Age" (Universal) - $310,000 / Overall: $57,088,348
Box office data comes to us from Box Office Mojo.
About the Author
Matt Lissauer is a writer & data manager for Noovie. When he is not busy writing listicles, Matt is enjoying life in New Jersey with his lovely wife and three kids.