Warner Bros.' "Godzilla vs. Kong" continues to be the reigning box office champ. While the latest installment in the "MonsterVerse" dropped 58% from the previous week, the movie still took in $13.3M over the weekend. The domestic total for the monster pic is now at $69.5M, making it one of the most profitable movies of the pandemic, so far. Worldwide, "Godzilla vs. Kong" has grabbed nearly $360M, and is well on its way to top "Tenet's" worldwide gross to become the top all-time grossing movie of the pandemic era.
With little competition "Godzilla vs. Kong" easily took the No. 1 spot. The only major release from the weekend was Lionsgate's "Voyagers." The sci-fi thriller failed to land with critics and audiences and was only able to take in $1.4M, thereby placing it at No. 5.
Holdovers rounded out the remaining Top 5. Universal's "Nobody," edged out Screen Gems' horror flick "The Unholy," claiming the No. 2 spot with $2.7M. The Bob Odenkirk actioner will be making its way to Premium VOD this weekend. "The Unholy" came in a No. 3 with $2.4M, while Disney's "Raya and the Last Dragon" took $2.4M.
In spite of a drop in overall gross from the previous week, the box office is certainly showing signs of strength. The domestic and international haul from "Godzilla vs. Kong" shows that same-day availability on streaming is having little effect, and people are becoming more comfortable with returning to the theater. Wall Street is starting to take notice too, with many industry analysts predicting a strong box office rebound in the coming year.
Box Office Top Ten: Apr. 9 – 11
- "Godzilla vs. Kong" (Warner Bros) - $13,380,000 / Overall: $69,500,000
- "Nobody" (Universal) - $2,650,000 / Overall: $15,627,135
- "The Unholy" (Screen Gems) - $2,400,000 / Overall: $6,731,878
- "Raya and the Last Dragon" (Walt Disney) - $2,140,000 / Overall: $35,240,411
- "Voyagers" (Lionsgate) - $1,350,000 [NEW]
- "Tom & Jerry" (Warner Bros) - $1,110,000 / Overall: $41,122,000
- "The Courier" (Roadside) - $436,560 / Overall: $4,907,729
- "The Girl Who Believes in Miracles" (Atlas) $403,000 / Overall: $1,124,725
- "Chaos Walking" (Lionsgate) - $265,000 / Overall: $12,674,655
- "The Croods: A New Age" (Universal) - $245,000 / Overall: $56,717,793
Box office data comes to us from Box Office Mojo.
About the Author
Matt Lissauer is a writer & data manager for Noovie. When he is not busy writing listicles, Matt is enjoying life in New Jersey with his lovely wife and three kids.