Universal's slasher film "Candyman" exceeded expectations nabbing the top spot at the box office with a $22.3M opening. According to Box Office Mojo, this Jordan Peele-produced film was projected to earn closer to $15M for its opening weekend. The film itself had a production budget of only $25M, so this is a spectacular start with all things considered. It can even be said that "Candyman" is the third best opening for the final weekend of August, trailing only behind 2009’s Final Destination ($27.4M) and 2016’s Don’t Breathe ($26.4M).
This new flick acts as a spiritual sequel to the original 1992 film of the same name. It stars "Aquaman" star Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and was directed by Nia DaCosta, who will soon be directing upcoming MCU film "The Marvels." What's most surprising about the success of this film is that it's only currently available exclusively in theaters. It joys us to see that folks are finally beginning to feel more comfortable stepping back into theaters. And with the recent FDA approval of Pfizer's coronavirus vaccine, we're hoping attendance will only continue to increase with all the great new movies slated for the rest of the year.
"Free Guy" is finally dethroned this week landing in the No. 2 spot earning $13.5M for the weekend. This 20th Century Studios/Disney project is another film that can only be watched exclusively in theater, with no option to stream on Disney+ with Premier Access or on any other platforms.
Further on down our list, we have "PAW Patrol: The Movie" clawing its way to the third spot at $6.6M, "Jungle Cruise" sailing into fourth place with $5M, and "Don't Breathe 2" finishing 5th with $2.8M. It's a good thing that "Candyman" is the box office leader this week because we can pretty much guarantee that "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings" will be dominating theaters for weeks to come.
Box Office Top Ten: Aug. 27-29
- "Candyman" (Universal) - $22,370,000 [NEW]
- "Free Guy" (20th Century) - $13,556,000 / Overall: $79,311,180
- "PAW Patrol: The Movie" (Paramount) - $6,625,000 / Overall: $24,081,280
- "Jungle Cruise" (Disney) $5,020,000 / Overall: $100,110,182
- "Don't Breathe 2" (Screen Gems) - $2,835,000 / Overall: $24,579,282
- "Respect" (MGM) - $2,170,000 / Overall: $19,643,464
- "The Suicide Squad" (WB) - $2,035,000 / Overall: $52,779,000
- "The Protege" (Lionsgate) - $1,650,000 / Overall: $5,724,237
- "The Night House" (Searchlight) - $1,218,000 / Overall: $5,179,578
- "Black Widow" (Disney) - $855,000 / Overall: $181,531,407
Box office data comes to us from Box Office Mojo.
Jesse is a writer and content manager for Noovie. When he's not working, he's on the beach playing volleyball.