May 14, 2021
It's been a while since we've seen any new zombie movies... until now. It's still in theaters today, but now "Army of the Dead" is streaming on Netflix. This new take on a zombie film features Dave Bautista leading a group of freelance zombie killers who have been hired to retrieve a large fortune hidden. Where is it? Stuck in a vault somewhere in Las Vegas. The only problem is that Las Vegas is now a zombie sanctuary. In order to pick up their lump sum, they'll have to infiltrate the land of the undead and break into the safe and somehow make it out alive. Before you see if this impossible task is possible, let us review "Army of the Dead" for you first.
Reasons to Sink
- If you're not a fan of blood and guts being a constant theme throughout a film then you may want to skip this one.
- Some of the characters seem way too easy-going even though they're involved in such a dire, life-or-death situation.
- There are various scenes that allude to what might happen next in a way that could be considered a bit predictable.
Reasons to Stream
- Dave Bautista comes out guns-blazing with a phenomenal performance. Not only does he prove he has what it takes to helm a film as the lead, but his choregraphed fight scenes and overall physicality deserve applause.
- Zack Snyder's explosive, blood-splattered zombie/heist film offers an entirely original idea that he executes in a clever way. He manages to avoid almost all of the typical zombie film tropes by doing exactly the opposite of what you'd expect,
- This hybrid film offers a serious and ridiculous tone which doesn't fall too far in either direction, making it an emotional, exhilarating experience.
Sink or Stream?
So, after our review of "Army of the Dead," we definitely think that should go stream this right now!
Zack Snyder has done it again. Almost everyone loves a good zombie flick, and most are up for an epic heist movie as well. This is both! We honestly can't think of any other movie quite like this. And to top it off, Snyder plays to his strengths providing an insanely graphic and mind-blowing film. Dave Bautista is taking headshots on these zombies all day and he never misses.
Jesse is a writer and content manager for Noovie. When he's not working, he's on the beach playing volleyball.