The stars were Zooming from home for the virtual and pre-taped 27th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards. It was a less awkward, glitch-free affair compared to the Golden Globes last month. But, more importantly, the stage has been set for what should hopefully be one of the most diverse Oscars in history.
It was certainly a night for Netflix. The streamer landed wins in the four top categories. Aaron Sorkin's "The Trial of the Chicago 7" took the top prize, while Viola Davis and the late Chadwick Boseman picked up lead acting awards for their performances in "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom." That Netflix is now a force to reckon with at the Oscars is all the more fitting this year, and in more ways than one.
On the supporting side, Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-Jung won for their respective roles in "Judas and the Black Messiah'' and "Minari." Humble and deserving all around, it would be great to see each of these actors claim Oscar gold in a few weeks.
The SAG Awards have become a good predictor of who will likely take home the Oscar, and what's shaping up is sure to be an historic year for people of color. While the acting races seem to be locked in at this point, the Best Picture race still seems like anyone's game. What's clear from tonight, however, is that "Minari" and "Trial of the Chicago 7" are leading contenders that can edge out "Nomadland" for a Best Picture victory.
Below is the full list of film 2021 SAG Award winners and nominees.
Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
- "Da 5 Bloods"
- "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"
- "One Night In Miami"
- "Trial of the Chicago 7" < WINNER
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
- Amy Adams - "Hillbilly Elegy"
- Viola Davis - "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" < WINNER
- Vanessa Kirby - "Pieces of a Woman"
- Frances McDormand - "Nomadland"
- Carey Mulligan - "Promising Young Woman"
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
- Riz Ahmed - "Sound of Metal"
- Chadwick Boseman - "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" < WINNER
- Anthony Hopkins - "The Father"
- Gary Oldman - "Mank"
- Steven Yeun - "Minari"
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
- Maria Bakalova - "Borat Subsequent Moviefilm"
- Glenn Close - "Hillbilly Elegy"
- Olivia Colman - "The Father"
- Youn Yuh-Jung - "Minari" < WINNER
- Helena Zengel - "News of the World"
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
- Sacha Baron Cohen - "The Trial of the Chicago 7"
- Chadwick Boseman - "Da 5 Bloods"
- Daniel Kaluuya - "Judas and the Black Messiah" < WINNER
- Jared Leto - "The Little Things"
- Leslie Odom Jr. - "One Night in Miami"
Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture
- "Da 5 Bloods"
- "News of the World"
- "The Trial of the Chicago 7"
- "Wonder Woman 1984" < WINNER
About the Author
Matt Lissauer is a writer & data manager for Noovie. When he is not busy writing listicles, Matt is enjoying life in New Jersey with his lovely wife and three kids.